Thursday, August 24, 2017

Five Runfessions for August

As August winds down, it's time for a cleansing dose of Runfessions!


I runfess...

After installing new bike pedals and shoes combo, I knew it was coming.  A fall.  Where is a videographer when you need one?  I'm still laughing.  I rolled up to the woods to stop, get off, and walk my bike up a steep path.  Except, I forgot to unclip.  I made the split second decision to release my brakes and roll mere inches more where I could fall in the weeds and brush as opposed to the pavement.    It was one of those slow motion falls {oh frig, this may huurrrttttt...} which left me sitting perplexed and sock-footed with weeds sticking out of my helmet and out of poor Sanity's crevices.  I'm pleased to say, I went ahead with that ride.   Nothing was seriously hurt...but my dignity...and maybe Sanity's too.

330 calories {gulp}

I runfess...

I was giddy with excitement to recently find my beloved frosted shortbread cookie back into Starbuck's lineup.   Mmmmm....tastes like an octopus.   I wish I had never looked up the nutritional information, however.  I did not know octopi were so high in saturated fat.

 
I runfess...

I was looking forward to the grand-puppy going back to college and school starting for our still-at-home high school senior.  I was craving normalcy.  Tranquility.  Who was I kidding?  Not only did I have to extract 21 (you heard me, twenty-frigging-one) dead frogs [toads? does it matter?] from the pool skimmer, but my special needs dog brought a young squirrel in the house the other morning. What's a gal to do?  Just calmly step over said dying squirrel to get the milk out of the fridge so I could eat my oatmeal.   I'm learning to roll with the flow...




I runfess...

So far, I've taken two weeks off of running.  Yep.  It was a hard decision, but after experiencing a weird (yet mild) pain in my leg that wasn't going away -- coupled with a lingering hamstring issue -- I needed to.  With two race-cations this fall, ain't nobody got time for that!  I'm water skiing, I'm still training for that century ride too, but I've been running in the pool in lieu of on the pavement.   The best news?  I feel so much better!  Now I've got to make the equally tough decision when to hit the road again.


Thank you Wendy for the beautiful hand-made totem!
 I runfess...

Although I'm so over dew points of 75 and feels-like temps of 85 before 8 am, I will be sad to see the water skiing season come to an end.  After all, it was my first sport -- the one active thing I was encouraged to do as a girl in the 70's.  It's noteworthy that as kids we were so wide-eyed impressed that our lake neighbor was a "old" lady in her 60s that could still ski.  That.Will.Be.Me.    


Is it crazy at your house too?  (Please say yes!)

What would you like to runfess?



I'm linking with my friend Marcia today from Marcia's Healthy Slice.
Please stop by and join in with your own Runfessions!



I'm also joining on the Friday Five 2.0 linkup
Stop by and see what everyone is talking about.






33 comments:

  1. And me! We're taking our act on the road, gray hair and all....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The #holottafun waterski show. I think we're on to something big...

      Delete
  2. Ouch! Sorry to hear about your tumble off your bike! I hate finding out nutritional information on treats. It makes me not want to eat them. But i'm sure it was well worth it, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was well worth it! Everything in moderation, yes?

      Delete
  3. Wait, what happened with the squirrel? I learned a few weeks ago never to let my hub set a mouse trap before he goes camping for the weekend .... I'd rather share my kitchen with a live mouse for a few more days! Glad you fall wasn't too traumatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was placed back outside out of harms (dogs) way. Sadly, he did not bounce back...may the little fellow rest in peace. Thankfully, the fall was funny more than anything else.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes the slow motion bike fall! Although it's embarrassing at least you usually don't hurt yourself on those falls. I hear frogs outside ever night singing but I never see them. I envision them being huge but they are probably tiny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I had any witnesses to that fall, unless they were peeking out of their windows. The frogs come out when it rains (and we've had tons) and end up in the pool.

      Delete
  5. That octopus cookie is too cute! I always say that calories don't count when you eat anything on the weekend - that's my policy and I'm sticking to it, LOL

    Definitely smart to take some time off from running so that the pain didn't get worse! which racecations do you have planned for the Fall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the no calorie weekend rule! I'm running the RnR Las Vegas and Panama City Beach half marathons. I need to get busy.

      Delete
  6. But if there was nobody there to SEE the fall, did it really happen? Weeds be damned! That cookie is adorable. The nutritional profile is a total buzzkill. Smart girl to take to the pool! Anything to preserve those racecations! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I believe the fall would have been much more traumatic if their had been witnesses. LOL I'm just trying to be prudent with this old body these days.

      Delete
  7. I make it a rule to not bother looking at the nutritional info on treats - everything in moderation right? Good call to take some time off from running. Hopefully whatever was starting up has settled down for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm surprised that the nutritional information isn't as bad as I expect. But...not this time. LOL

      Delete
  8. I don't like seeing the nutrition facts on menus or labels. Just let me enjoy it when I splurge a little. I get a salad and cookie at Panera because one balances out the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panera reminds me...it's almost time for their Autumn Squash soup. I hope they bring it back. It's my favorite.

      Delete
  9. Glad you've felt better after the running break! It was smart to catch it early. And your story about the poor squirrel was both hilarious and a little gross at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think the squirrels would have enough sense to stay out of my back yard! My dogs live for the sole purpose of catching one. LOL.

      Delete
  10. That's why I don't bike. I am pretty uncoordinated.

    330 calories!!! Why did you have to mention that? LOL (It was good though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the calorie count doesn't deter me from eating another. LOL.

      Delete
  11. Ha I think your rolling with the punches quite nicely! Squirrel? Really? I make it a point to never look at the nutritional values of mixed drinks, I'm afraid It may make me quit and we just can't handle that! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mojo was proud of his catch. He was pretty upset when we took it away too.

      Delete
  12. See? This is why I don't cycle! Because I would do that allllll the time!

    Yes, thank goodness for school. And tranquility. And doing nothing when I want to do nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has one of these falls. (At least that is what I tell myself!) I'm still waiting for that tranquility...

      Delete
  13. No,it's really not crazy here. Since we started letting Gizmo out later in the morning he no longer brings in animals (knocking on wood). The dogs aren't fast enough to catch anything -- although they are pretty darn fast.

    I hope your leg gets with the program quickly.

    Our 7 year old dishwasher has apparently died, though . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how my dogs catch their birds and squirrels! They just usually appear at the back door with them...barely breathing. I went without a dishwasher for months! I didn't want to spend the money or take the time to shop for a new one. I finally caved.

      Delete
  14. Oh gosh...that fall on the bike into the weeds.....THAT would be me if I had a bike with clip-on shoes capability (...and the ability--myself-- to bend my wonky healing knee enough to actually mount a bike and pedal it). You are a beast for continuing your ride and not waving the white flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky I could fall in the weeds and not onto the pavement. I'm also lucky I didn't land in a patch of poison oak. It is all over those woods.

      Delete
  15. That's exactly why I'm afraid to get clips for my bike...

    Your dead squirrel story is funny and I would probably do exactly what you did. Feed myself first and worry about clean up next. HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many clip and pedal systems. I sometimes wonder if a different combo would be easier for me. But in this case -- I just plain forgot. My mind was elsewhere...until it was almost too late.

      Delete
  16. Didn't realize you were taking a break from running. Hope you are feeling better. Dead squirrel ? Yuck. We dealt with dead mice this weekend in the countryside. Would have been OK except for the one I found in the silverware drawer.... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying to play it smart with my aging body (sigh). I found a mouse in a kitchen drawer years ago. EEK. Scared me half to death!

      Delete
  17. I'm not sure what caused the pain (more like a dull ache). I just decided to play it safe. I think I know what cookie comes next... PUMPKIN. Can't resist.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!